Sunday, July 19, 2015

Sunday 19th July




I start with a damp photograph of the church this morning, it has rained during the night and there are grey tones to the world outside.  Yesterday the wind was strong, chairs went flying in the garden and the bird house was blown over.  Did not worry the sparrows in the least, they played around trying to find the seed in the fallen bird house.  You will notice the pots of flowers in front of the graves, on the first day we were here I noticed how three women came and cleared up the dead plants.  I like to think that they worried about our view, it would have been a nice thought.  LS spoke to someone in the graveyard the other day, they had come all the way from New Zealand to look up ancestors here in this village, is it not remarkable 'ancestor worship'

My plans for hens and dogs (a dog) has been put on hold till we get the back garden fenced. Firstly we need a path from the garage to the kitchen to be put down, and a paver came yesterday, and viewed the rather beautiful York stone we have round the house, said it was too expensive and very slippery in winter and that we needed 'Indian' look alike stone, which is much thinner but just as durable. Luckily his next door neighbour in Malton was a fencer, weird how everyone knows someone else who does this or that... But on the strength of that, I have ordered my chicken hutch, whether it will arrive flat pack heaven knows.



LS over a cup of tea this morning said 'you are in charge of the stove', so what does that mean I wonder? do I organise logs or coal (it is a multi fuel stove), never even looked inside, though I can lay a good fire which will start 99% of the time.  Note my little Christmas rocking horse, rocking into the future.


2 comments:

  1. I have just such a rocking horse on my shelf!
    Stoves - we would not be without ours and to give you some encouragement it has never gone out once on lighting - the farmer lays and I light. He always puts one line of sticks vertically up the front between the fire and the glass - don't know whether this helps or not - and I always leave the door slightly ajar for a minute or two until it has 'caught'. We, of course living on a farm, always have plenty of wood from trees and branches which blow down over winter. We start with coal to get it going, them put on a shovel full of anthracite and when it is really going well we stick to wood and close it almost right down. Works perfectly. Good luck.
    I think the rain left here before it got to you. Now, as I write at 9.11am the sun is full out and there is a light breeze - so will do doubt reach you in a short time.
    You must have been up and about early - nice photo of the church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snap then! I always light the fire as well, a sort of privilege extended by LS, perhaps it is an old custom, must look it up. Well will take note of your fire laying practice and when we have found all the necessary fuels, there are plenty of logs on offer around in the countryside here, will apply, though I think it might be prudent to have the chimney/steel thing swept...

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!