Thursday, March 27, 2014

miscellany

A video from Tales of Simple Day,  The Dark side of Morris - The Witches Brew, reminds me of Whitby and the Morris dancers and undertones of Gothic horror that is so delightful in our crazy interpretation of 'old' history.  People have lots of fun dressing up, and Whitby comes alive on Goth weekends, and funnily enough there are also WW2 'dressing up' occasions, when seamed stockings make their appearance. Morris dancers down here in Essex are more conventional, bells ringing at their knees, etc, so I like the dark undertones of  The Wild Hunt  ensemble.
Below are  photos of Lockeridge and Piggledene, whilst hunting through an old Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine of 1911 (yes I know its boring, but that's what I do occasionally) online of course, I came across the fact that these drifts of  sarsen stones were bought up by a trust at the beginning of the 20th century so that they would be protected in the future.  It was called the Grey Wethers Trust, because most of the fallen stones do look a bit like sheep, Lord Avebury had paid the most, £90 into the fund, and so today remain part of the common heritage of us all, which is a fact I rather like, so whenever you wander a little bit of land that has an English Heritage sign, thank the persons who put their hands in their pockets many years ago. 




Lockeridge Dene with its thatched cottage


Piggledene

Piggledene or the Grey Wethers
The computer on my desk is surrounded by strips of patchwork material, not making anything large, just messing around with squares and stripes, experimenting is the word. Several days ago developed toothache, after finally summing up courage yesterday to go to the dentist, they sadly managed to find me a cancellation the same day, not toothache but a sinus infection, never had that before, or weirdly, antiobiotics which he prescribed......

5 comments:

  1. Better the sinuses than the teeth Thelma....always! Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, though I have an appointment with him after the holiday...

      Delete
  2. we have our own side here in Glastonbury, the Crow morris. I love all traditional folk dancing.
    Hope youre feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not realise Kath there were different types of Morris dancing, like 'Border' dancing, though of course I have seen it at Whitby, when there were at least 6 different groups.

      Delete
  3. Lovely new header. An interesting post, and I love the photos. I MISS "proper" archaeology : ) Recent field-walking didn't quite hit the spot, but has jiggled the memories.

    I hope you are fully cured again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!